Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Ultimate Beef Stroganoff



Beef Stroganoff
(from My Kitchen Cafe)

I made this for Sunday dinner today and served it with asparagus and a simple fruit salad(peaches, strawberries, and bananas with cream). It was easy and quite delicious. The beef and gravy were really rich and flavorful. A keeper.

I cooked it on the 8hr setting of my crockpot, but after about 5 hrs, when I checked it after we got home from church, the beef was done and being afraid of it getting dry by leaving it another 2-3hrs, I turned the crockpot down to "warm" for the remaining time. When I checked it again, all of the liquid had been soaked up into the meat, leaving me none left to make a gravy with ( but similtaniously making the meat really yummy) so I added another 2 cups of beef stock. This led me to add more roux at the end than called for to thicken it. It's funny how one person's tried and true recipes never seem to have as consistent a result when someone else tries them. Even when the recipe is followed exactly as they give it I always end up needing to do some tweaking. So, with that in mind here is the original recipe:

Put in crockpot:
2-3 lbs stew meat
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper
1 large onion, sliced


Mix in bowl and pour over meat:
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups beef broth or stock (made from cubes or granules)
1 Tbs ketchup

Other Ingredients:
1/3 cup flour
5-6 Tbs apple juice
4oz mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup sour cream

Cook in crockpot on low for 7-8 hrs or on high4-5 hrs. When cooked, make a simple roux by whisking the flour with enough apple juice to make a thick but still pourable flour mixture. Whisk the roux into the crockpot and add mushrooms.

Cook on high for 15-30 minutes. Then stir in sour cream. Serve over pasta (egg noodles or any curly noodle work best), potatoes or rice.

No comments: