I know we're just barely into summer, but I can only take about a week of 100 degree weather and then I am decidedly ready for Fall. I was craving Fall and craving pumpkin bread and I even got so lucky that on the day I made this it got all cloudy and rained, even if it was still 90+ with now added humidity; indoors it felt and smelt of fall. Makes 2 loaves plus several muffins too.
Pumpkin Spice Bread
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Heat oven to 350.
- in a large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, water, vegetable oil and eggs.
- Beat until well mixed.
- Measure the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves into a separate bowl and stir until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, beating until smooth.
- Grease two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans and dust with flour.
- Evenly divide the batter between the two pans.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes, then remove from pans by inverting onto a rack and tapping the bottoms.
- Slice and serve plain, buttered, or with cream cheese.