Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

My Linda mom always made a fabulous Pineapple Upside Down Cake for catering events and for my birthday I really had a hankering for one.  This was so easy and completely delicious.  It was also a great recipe to have Logan help with; I let her place the pineapple slices with the cherries in the middle.  (Jude was on the other side of the kitchen helping daddy whip up some mean mashed potatoes to go with my birthday pot roast.)

Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Food.com


Ingredients

    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
    • 1 (20 ounce) can sliced pineapple
    • 6 maraschino cherries
    • 1 (18 ounce) package duncan hines supreme pineapple cake mix
       * Here's where I took a little detour: I had bought a Pillsbury yellow cake mix instead and when I got home realized that it said it had a cup of pudding in the mix.  So, I left out the 4 oz box of pudding below, ignored the oil and egg amounts in the recipe opting to follow the box directions for those and then added the pineapple juice.  It turned out fabulous and I would do it this way again in a heart beat because it did turn out so good.
    • 1 (4 ounce) box vanilla instant pudding mix
    • 1 cup pineapple juice
    • 1/2 cup canola oil
    • 4 eggs

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Melt butter in a 9x13 pan in oven.
  3. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter in pan.
  4. Drain canned pineapple into a measuring cup.
  5. Place pineapple slices evenly in pan, cutting the last two in half to cover pan.
  6. Place the maraschino cherry halves in the center of the pineapple slices, cut side up.
  7. Combine the cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix to combine.
  8. Pour batter into pan.
  9. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  10. Cool 5 minutes and turn cake out onto a serving platter, pineapple side up

No comments: