Monday, December 13, 2010

Molasses Sugar Cookies

These are maybe my favorite holiday cookies, at least tied with the chocolate crinkles.  They are such a warm, cozy kind of cookie and they make me happy.  As it is an older recipe, from my grandma's era at least, they use shortening.  Not really a big deal to me since I already had some on hand, but if you want an equivalent recipe that uses butter instead my sister-in-law has one on her blog called Ginger Molasses Cookies.
 
Molasses Sugar Cookies
Wendy Chernan
 
Ingredients
 
3/4 c shortening
1 c sugar
1/4 c molasses
1 egg
2 tsp  baking soda
2 c flour
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
 
Directions
 
Melt shortening over low heat.  Cool.
Add, sugar, molasses, and egg. Beat well.
Add, flour, soda, salt and spices. Mix well.
Form in 1" balls, roll in sugar.
Place on greased cookie sheet.
Bake 8-10 min at 375 

No comments: