Saturday, June 2, 2012

Honey Whole Wheat Pancakes


My mornings go like this: 
"Mom, I'm hungry will you get up now?"
"Okay, I will in just a minute . . ."
15-30 minutes later, "Mom, Arden's awake will you get up now?"
" Okay."  And this time is for reals.
"Yah!  I'm hungry can we have pancakes with seery-up? ( that's how Logan pronounces syrup, kind of like giddy-up)
Every morning, without fail, she wants pancakes and syrup.  And because I don't like to have to start my first moments of the day picking a battle, that's what they usually get-frozen walmart mini pancakes. And then Jude chimes in with "And, can I have caramel milk!?!"  Logan, "And, can I have chocolate milk!?!" I've never felt good about this "most important meal of the day" routine, so I finally did what I'd always planned to do and together we made homemade whole wheat pancakes, fishing the whole wheat flour I had bought months ago from the back of the pantry.  I doubled the recipe, as it is here, and it made ~ 40 mini pancakes to pop in the freezer and pull out a few in the mornings.  I liked them, the kids liked them and now i don't feel so bad about the chocolate milk!  I also loved that these had a light and fluffy texture, since sometimes recipes with wheat flour can end up too dense.


Honey Whole Wheat Pancakes
Food.com by WJKing
makes 40 mini pancakes, ~ 20 regular size


Ingredients

    • 2 cup whole wheat flour
    • 4 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 3 tablespoon honey
    • 6 tablespoons oil
    • 2 cup buttermilk * OR 2 cups regular milk+2Tbs lemon juice
    • 4 large eggs

Directions

  1. Stir honey& oil together in a bowl.
  2. Add milk& eggs& beat well.
  3. Mix dry ingredients into the liquids until flour is moistened.

No comments: