Thursday, May 31, 2012

California Zucchini Bake



When I first moved out of the house and into the great big world of adults, my biggest brother and his wife took me in while I searched for my first job (Hogi Yogi) and went to school (BYU) = could it be any more cliche? And while we're at it, yes I met my husband at "the Y" too.  Anyway, my sis-in-law Crystal had some yummy recipes in her arsenal that were quick, easy and fed a family.  And, since that's the phase I am in nowadays I've been grateful to have such recipes to pull out.  We've always enjoyed this one plus it has veggies!  Serve it as a side or main entree with a green salad.

California Zucchini Bake
Crystal Hill          Serves 6-8

3 cups cooked rice
1 lb ground beef or turkey
2 zucchini, thinly sliced
1/4 cup green onion, sliced
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbs chili powder
1 cup sour cream
2 cups Monterrey jack cheese, grated
4 roma tomatoes, diced

Cook rice.  While rice is cooking, get out a big skillet (like wok size) and brown beef with zucchini on medium heat until both are cooked and zucchini is soft, might need to cover for a few minutes to steam zucchini.  Add in green onion and seasonings and mix well.  Add cooked rice and mix up until rice is fully seasoned and incorporated.  Mix in sour cream then pour into 9 x 13 dish.  Sprinkle cheese and then tomatoes over top.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.



No comments: