Sunday, June 7, 2009

Lemon Cake

With summer here lemon has been a flavor I've found myself drawn to lately.  This cake was moist and perfectly citrusy- not too strong, though  I do think the frosting may have been.  I made mine thinner, more like a glaze so that you still had that extra sweetness, but it didn't overpower.  I thought this cake especially good served warm.  It also made a great breakfast treat the next morning.

Lemon Cake
My Kitchen Cafe

1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs
1 small package lemon instant pudding

Mix dry ingredients.  Add wet ingredients.  Mix electric mixer on med speed for about two minutes.  Pour into a greased 9x11 pan or two round pans.  Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.  Don't over bake or the cake will be too dry.

You can also bake cupcakes and bake them for 15 - 20 minutes.  the cupcakes will fall after they come out of the oven, but this is normal.  Just fill in the indentation with more frosting.

Frosting:

1 cup (2 sticks) of butter, very soft
6-8 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest

In lrg. mixing bowl, using a whisk or mixer on low, mix butter with 4 cups powdered sugar, then add the juice and zest ( I hadn't bought a lemon so I didn't use the zest).  Beat until smooth and creamy.  gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at  time until icing is as thick as you would like it.  Use and store at room temp.  (Don't refrigerate and it will last in a covered container for about 3 days.)  Garnish with berries if desired.

No comments: