Saturday, June 20, 2009

Meatloaf


A great comfort meal. As far as traditional meatloaf recipes go this has been our favorite find so far. My sister Lindsey, also has a yummy version that she made for us while we were in Arizona. Different than other recipes I've seen in that it used honey and a liquid base to keep it moist. Hers was also pretty tasty and I plan on trying that one for myself next time to compare and see which we prefer. It may be that they are both equally good, since hers is a different take on the traditional. Anyway though, this a great go to meatloaf recipe that we all thoroughly enjoy. Jon especially loves it.

Meatloaf
Corpening Sisiters/Williams Sonoma

2 tsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup milk
1 cup breadcrumbs
3/4 cup ketchup
4 tsp Worcestershire
1 lb ground beef round
8 oz (1/2 b) ground breakfast sausage
1 egg beaten
1 1/4 tsp Mrs. Dash Seasoning mix
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350. Heat the oil in medium non stick skillet over med heat and saute the onion until tender, 5-7 minutes.

Combine the milk and breadcrumbs in a small bowl and set aside. Combine 1/4 cup ketchup and 2 tsp. Worcestershire in another small bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl combine onions, remaining 2 tsp Worcestershire, remaining 2/4 cup ketchup, egg, seasoning mix, garlic powder, breadcrumbs ground beef and sausage. Mix until well incorporated.

Mound the meatloaf mixture in a greased 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, pour off some of the fat and then spread ketchup mixture over top. Return to oven and bake until an instant read thermometer reads 160 F when inserted into the middle, or about 30 minutes more. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.

I hate when meatloaf turns out dry, so feel free to adjust the cooking times by about 5-10 minutes according to your oven. My oven tends to cook faster so I decreased to 40 minutes and 25 minutes and it turned out perfect. I don't have a thermometer but I think it would be a great investment for things like this so that you don't have to play the guessing game. Also, I never fill my pan all the way up because I like to keep enough of the meat mixture leftover to freeze and use for stuffed bell peppers for a later meal.


No comments: