Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Chinese Chicken Salad


Now, I don't know what the traditional way of making this salad is or if there really even is one. I saw so many different versions when I tried looking it up on recipezaar. This is my parent's recipe or Empire Caterer's recipe that is. I loved this salad when they would make it for catering dinners and called my dad for the recipe last week, having a sudden nostalgic craving for it. Unfortunately, they've only ever made this in batches that serve fifty or more people so trying to convert the measurements down was guess work. I took what my dad gave me and played around with it from there. Mine ended up quite tasty, but with a bit too much soy sauce. So my new adjustment to that is reflected here. Enjoy!

Chinese Chicken Salad
The Chernans

Dressing:

1 cup mayonnaise
3 Tbs. sour cream
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs soy sauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 Tbs sugar

Mix all ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 min to an hour before using.

Salad:

grilled chicken breast (or boiled) cut into strips or diced
romaine lettuce
chinese crunchy noodles
bean sprouts
cashews or sliced almonds
mandarin oranges
water chestnuts ( I don't like them, so i leave them out)

Amounts are subject to how many you are serving. The dressing will cover at least one normal sized bag of prepackaged romaine, probably two.

No comments: