Saturday, January 10, 2009

Chicken Tikka Masala

Jon and I really enjoy Thai and Ethiopian food, but I had never had Indian before.  I think I mostly stayed away from it since it has a reputation for being quite spicy hot.  This dish does have some heat from the cayenne (which I even cut down) and the jalepeno (which Jon insisted I leave in) but with a glass of milk I was able to handle it and even enjoy the meal.  The flavor of the sauce and spiced chicken was worth the heat and the smell of the cinnamon as it was cooking was lovely.  I served this with mixed vegetables.

Chicken Tikka Masala
My Kitchen Cafe

1 cup plain yogurt
1 Tbs lemon juice
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp cayenne pepper ( I substituted with 1 1/2 + 1/4 tsp paprika and 1/4 tsp cayenne to cut the heat)
2 tsp black pepper (only added 1 tsp since I'm not a big pepper fan)
1 Tbs minced fresh ginger (I didn't have any so I left it out)
1 tsp salt
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2 inch thick slices

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl ,except chicken.  Add chicken pieces and refrigerate one hour.  Grill or cook chicken in frying pan.  Discard marinade.  (I fried mine and by the time the chicken was done there really wasn't any marinade left to discard; it had all become a kind of spice "breading."

1 Tbs butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (used canned jalepeno's 2nd time, did it help?)
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 cup cream
1/4 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish

Melt butter in large skillet over med heat.  Saute garlic and jalapeno for one minute.  Season with cumin, paprika and salt.  Stir in tomato sauce and cream.  Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 min.  Add chicken and simmer another 10 min.  Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.

No comments: